Thursday, June 30, 2011

My second work experience in NYC

One of the women in my office can't stop coughing.  I thought it was just an acute issue, but apparently its been going on for months...maybe years.  Don't worry, it isn't some life-threatening condition, it's psycho-somatic.  Whenever she starts to get nervous she sounds like she is coughing up a hairball; so it is especially present during office meetings and fund-raising events.  Everyone in the office feels compelled to play along and offers advice; everything from home remedies to pulmonoligists and acupuncture has been offered up.  She keeps a running commentary on her medical status.  She slurs her words too, which makes me think maybe her undiscovered anxiety disorder that manifests as nervous hairball coughs is due to a very real speach impediment.  It took her 15 minutes to get through 5 sentences today in the meeting, the imbedded inefficiency in this adds to the ridiculousness of my life and makes my day that much better.


Oh, and one day, something fell off of the roof from the building next door to us.  Everyone ran over to the window, I think they were all secretly hoping it was a body or something traumatic like that.  No one could see where it landed.  I think it was debris from the awesome party the Europeans are throwing at the hostel next door.  Those kids can party.

No comments:

Post a Comment